Thursday, August 17, 2006

It Is Done

How can one begin to describe the varied thoughts, feelings, emotions that rush through one's head during a day like today?

We left Greensboro, NC at 6 AM this morning. As we drove I napped since it was very late last night when I finally fell asleep. Ken and Kenny communicated non stop via cell phones which assisted in keeping both of them awake and on the road. I heard bits and pieces of the comments. My mind, in its sleepy state, floated back over the past 18 years.

My first experience with pregnancy. My first days of labor. Yes, DAYS! 56 hours to be exact. The words from the doctor, "It's a boy!" Ken's words to me, "Kenneth, Jr.!" The proud eyes behind the surgical mask.

Taking this precious little wonder with tiny bird legs home. Watching him grow. Learning the hard way of his milk allergy...poor boy! Hearing his excited squeals when the white sailor's hat would walk in the door. Celebrating his first birthday by tearing apart the engine of a Renault Alliance.

Watching and listening as this little boy with a round belly dressed in "jams" and a t-shirt stand on the hearth of the fireplace and "preach" and lead the singing of "church." Seeing him tell everyone his favorite phrase, "Cool Dude!" with thumbs up. Hearing from his Papa that he was so brave after cutting open his lip when he drove his "bike" down the steps to the garage.

Seeing him try so hard to follow where we were pointing to see his cousin, Stacia, through her hospital window to blow her a kiss. He wasn't allowed to see her in person due to a chicken pox scare.

Watching him meet his baby brother for the first time and beeping "Navey's" nose. Giving Nathan his first nickname...Navey. Listening as he would teach Nathan how to play cars.

Rushing him to the ER a month prior to his 4th birthday when he fell off the top bunk and his head on the toy box. Ask him to show you his "V."

Seeing him proudly hug and kiss his new baby sister. What a special helper he was! Hearing him loudly proclaim at the zoo that the baboons have big butts!

Sending him off to his first day of kindergarten. Then first grade. Second.

Sitting with him through the JESUS Film and asking him at the end if he wanted to ask Jesus into his life. Hearing his heartfelt, firm reply, "Mommy, I already DID that!"

Watching him grow in the Lord. Seeing him praying with his friends. Hearing him pray for his family.

My baby, my boy, my son, is a young man. God is in the center of his life. He is pursuing his education at a Bible school. He is answering God's call on his life.

Kenny, I am so proud of you! I love you!


Comments:
I am feeling for you. I can't imagine how I will feel when and if this happens to me. When they went to kids camp I was so lonely without my babies. Kenny will do just fine.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?