Wednesday, April 04, 2007

2 Chronicles 7:14

When I was growing up, my parents were traveling in full-time evangelism. We were in a different town every week holding special revival services. Dad did the preaching and he and Mom and I would do the music. I heard some of Dad's messages so often that I had them memorized.
The same thing goes for the songs, too. Like messages that are just perfect for an opening or closing service of a revival, so too, are there songs perfect for certain messages. Mom sang one nearly every week that one of those perfect songs. "If My People." This song is completely taken from the scripture 2 Chronicles 7:14.
Solomon has just built the temple in Jerusalem and dedicated it to the Lord. The Lord then appears to Solomon and tells the king that his prayer has been heard. He then tells Solomon, "if MY people," not yours, Solomon, "if MY people, who are called by MY name," not yours, Solomon, "will humble themselves and pray and seek MY face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
I have always thought of this scripture as one for those who haven't yet asked Jesus into their hearts and lives. Therefore, it doesn't apply to me. Right? I was 14 when I asked Jesus into my heart. He and I have been in a growing love relationship for nearly 24 years! But as I read that scripture today I see that it is NOT at all intended for those who haven't asked Jesus into their hearts!
Ok, I know that in the Old Testament the Israelites didn't know who Jesus was. And being descendants of Abraham, they themselves were the chosen people...those called by God. But since we have the New Testament, we have JESUS! This means that once we have accepted the full and free forgiveness of Jesus we are then CALLED BY GOD!
So, "if my people, who are CALLED BY MY NAME," means ME! Not just the ones who are living in "wicked ways". ME! I have said many times to many people that we are human first and Christians second. Therefore the human-ness of us continues to struggle against the flesh and against the world around us that is so full of temptations and sin and Satan.
My pastor, who is also my husband, put a challenge to us as his congregation a couple weeks ago to participate in a "Day of Prayer" on April 4 from 6 AM to 9 PM. He had preached a message on praying for those around us, family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, who do not know Jesus personally and begin asking God to show us who to invite for Easter Sunday. God placed a name on my heart almost immediately and I have been praying for her. I have talked with her several times about coming to church Easter and will do so again in the coming 2-3 days.
So today is April 4. From 6 AM - 9 PM the church building was open for us to come together, or separately, to pray as a corporate body for several things. God had laid some specific instructions on our pastor's heart and he had set up several "stations" for us to go through.
First, a "Hand Washing" station. A large bowl of water was placed at near the entrance to the sanctuary for us to "wash" our hands. As we did we were to pray for the ministry that we each have and for those who we come in contact with on a daily basis.
Second, a "Praise" station. Here was a bulletin board with pushpins, note cards and pencils. We were to sit and praise God for His blessings in our lives and then to write on the card one praise that has happened in the past 6 months. Then we were to place them on the board to share with those who would come in behind us.
Third, the "Cross" station. A cross had been fashioned out of 2 pieces of wood and centered in front of the altar. There was a single nail where the hands and feet of Jesus had been nailed. There were note cards with holes punched in the top. We were to take a card and write down the names of those around us who do not know Jesus. Then we were to pray specifically for these names and hang the card on the cross.
Fourth, the "Intercessory Prayer" station. At the table that has been used for collecting hats for Bobby Carpenter, there was a plain white hat and permanent markers along with the latest update on Bobby's condition and his picture. We were to stop and pray specifically for Bobby and his family during these difficult days of treatment and transition. Then we were to sign the hat that will be sent to Bobby later on.
Fifth, the "Prayer Walk." If we were able, we were asked to either walk around the outside of the church building, praying for our congregation and parsonage family and the ministry of the church, or to walk in one or more direction of the roads around the church, praying for the families living in those homes. It was raining pretty much when I was in the church, so I prayed for each person who sits in the pews each week.
Honestly, the entire process wasn't very long in time. But is very precious! I thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the silence later in the day reading God's word.
And yet, even with this wonderful experience of praying for the congregation that I am a member of and the ministry of the church that I am a part of, my heart is breaking. Why? Because only 5 people chose to participate in this Day of Prayer. 4 of them are Davises.

Comments:
As I sit here weeping for you my heart breaks in the same moment. I will be praying for your church and for the dedication you and your family have for the LORD.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?